Imagine my surprise when I came home from work one freezing cold evening and found water flooding my basement. I ran to turn off the water and then I called the plumber. Even though it was late in the evening, the plumber immediately came to my house and fixed the busted water line. The plumber told me that I could have prevented my water line from freezing and busting if I had winterized the pipes. After researching various methods, I insulated the pipes so they won't freeze again. My name is Joel Hampton and this blog is about the different ways to winterize your plumbing pipes to keep them from freezing. Coming home to a basement filled with water is a nightmare and I hope that after reading the information in my blog, it won't happen to you.
If you've been putting off having your heater serviced, you should know that you may be putting yourself in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Heaters that are not functioning properly can emit high levels of carbon monoxide gas into your home. More than 200 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States each year. Here are some things you need to know about carbon monoxide and your heater.
What Carbon Monoxide Does
When you breathe, oxygen binds to your hemoglobin and is transported throughout the body. The oxygen is released at different areas as it's needed. When carbon monoxide is present, it's also absorbed while you breathe. However, carbon monoxide doesn't like to separate from the hemoglobin, so it forms a permanent bond. Eventually the carbon monoxide saturation becomes so high that it forces all the oxygen out of your bloodstream and you suffocate. Here are some signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
How Poisoning Happens
Each time you turn your heater on, gases build up inside the furnace. If your heater isn't operating properly, the gases build up in your home, too. Things like dirty filters, clogged intake valves, and faulty ignitors can cause carbon monoxide to escape into your home.
In an attempt to reduce energy costs, many people try to make their homes airtight. Unfortunately, an airtight home increases the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
How You Can Prevent Problems
Luckily, there are several things you can do to prevent elevated carbon monoxide levels in your home. One way is to install a carbon monoxide monitor in your home. The monitor will alert you when the carbon monoxide is reaching dangerous levels. It's also important that you keep your heater in good working order. Servicing your heater at least once a year will help your service technician take care of minor issues before they become major health hazards. The yearly servicing should include these things:
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious medical issue that can result in death. To protect your family, you should make sure your furnace is functioning properly at all times. If you notice any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning described above, stop using your heater and seek medical attention, and be sure to contact your plumber for heating repair.